If you’re following me (and you should be), then you know I’ve gone Raw and have been trying to keep it interesting. I try to incorporate copy cat recipes that remind my palate of the foods I love. One major addiction was Sushi! I would be perfectly content to have Sushi all day everyday. Here’s another Sushi recipe I’ve been chowing down on lately-you’ll be surprised!
This recipe uses foods RICH in nutrients! In case you need convincing, here’s a quick rundown of some of the foods I used and their important nutirients:
I used the cauliflower and sunflower seeds to create a rice substitute. While it still tastes like cauliflower, the sunflower seeds add a nice nutty flavor and a little crunchy texture. And when you add the nori and avocado, the flavors start to pop!
Easy Crunchy Roll with Rice Substitute
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Assembly Time: 3 Minutes or less
Recipe Yields 4 Servings (4 rolls of 6)
- 4 Nori Sheets
- Half a head of Cauliflower, chopped
- 1/2 Cup of Sunflower Seeds
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1 Carrot, shredded into sticks or shavings
- 1 Cucumber, julienned (small spears)
- 1 Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Combine cauliflower, sunflower seeds, and olive oil in a food processor and pulse until well combined. Be careful not to over process because it can turn into a paste. You want it to resemble a rice-like consistency.
- Place nori sheet shiny side down on a flat surface and spread your “rice” in a thin and even layer. Be sure to leave about a half of an inch in empty space at the top.
- Add slices of avocado, your carrot shavings and a cucumber spear to the end closest to you. You want to distribute ingredients as evenly as possible.
- Roll upward by grabbing the underside of the nori end that is closest to you and using your fingers to hold ingredients in place as you wrap into a roll. Cut any excess ingredients of sides then cut into six, equal rounds. For a more in-depth look on how to do this step, click here.
- Repeat steps 1-4 to make another 3 rolls. You will most likely have leftover avocado and cucumber. I like to pretend the avocado is wasabi and put it on my plate for additional flavor! And I add just a drop of olive oil to my plate for dipping. We Italians love our olive oil!
- Share with friends and enjoy!