Chilli’s are such warm, savory meals! They’re perfect for rainy days and sweater weather. So cozy on up with a good movie and a fuzzy blanket and wrap your hands around a bowl of this!
You can make this with any type of ground meat that you like; a healthy alternative to beef is ground turkey. I used venison. And if you read my last post, then you know I actually used wild scallions for the onions in the recipe. So with the free meat and produce from our garden, this recipe only cost me the price of the beans, cheese, macaroni, tomato soup and pasta sauce. If you shop at Aldi’s you know you can get all of this for under $5! For a recipe that allows 2 servings to 6 people, $5 is pretty amazing.
Yields: 12 (1 cup) servings
Total Time: 3 hours and 15 minutes
- 1 pound of ground meat of your choice
- 10-20 scallion bulbs, rinsed, peeled and diced. Add as many as you like for the desired onion flavor! Or you can use 1 small onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can of tomato soup
- 1 (24 ounce) jar of traditional marinara sauce.
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can of mild chilli beans
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can of red kidney beans
- 1 cup or half of a one pound bag of frozen corn
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) box of macaroni pasta, cooked
- 2-3 Tablespoons of flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- If you haven’t already, now is a good time to start cooking your pasta!
- In a large skillet, on medium-high heat, brown meat with onion and garlic. Drain if necessary. Add green bell pepper and flour then cook for another 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour mixture into crock pot then sprinkle a small amount of flour over the top.
- Season with salt and pepper to your liking
- Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT your pasta and cheese.
- Stir until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours
- Add pasta and top off with cheese then enjoy!
- You can add uncooked pasta in the last 15 minutes of cooking time if you prefer. I’m just really picky about my pasta so I like to cook it ahead to make sure it’s just right!
- Frito’s corn chips are an amazing addition to any chilli recipe for that added crunch and a kick of flavor!